"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Baked Oatmeal Recipe

Years ago, I used to love going to visit my friend Karen and her family. I even spent the night there occasionally. Once dish I learned to love during those visits was something her Mom would serve for breakfast sometimes--Baked Oatmeal.

I still love it and fix it for my family.

Baked Oatmeal

Mix: 1/2 cup oil
         1/2 cup sugar (or less if you prefer)
          2 eggs

Add: 3 cups quick oats
         1 cup milk
         2/3 tsp salt
          4 tsp baking powder
          1 cup raisins (optional)

Bake at 350 degrees in a 9 by 9 pan. Cut in pieces and serve with milk as a breakfast dish.

That was the way I received the recipe from my friend's mother, Darlene. I make my own tweaks to it when I fix it. First, I need to double the recipe for our family of 7, and even that is almost not enough! I typically always lessen the sugar, I sub Rice Milk or even water for the "Milk" and we like a few pecans thrown in yet for good measure! For sides, a bowl of mixed fruit, and some bacon or sausage round out the meal nicely.

Do you have a "Baked Oatmeal" recipe to share? Link it up in the comments if you do!

1 comment:

Phebe said...

Here is the recipe I use most often...
3 c oatmeal
1/2 c honey or other healthy sweetner...
2 tsp baking powder
1 c milk
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup flax seeds ground or chia seed
1-2 tsp cinnamon, ginger etc..

When we had egg sensitivities I just used the flax meal and when it was milk any liquid works... sometimes I add fruit too. but this is a favorite at our house.