"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

How To Stay Happy While Focusing on Coupons

Our local library has long had a community service that our family loves--they have a table with a coupon basket so that members of the community can bring coupons they do not need, and take some if there are coupons they need.

I'm a pretty regular person at the coupon box--we try hard to hit it at least once a week. Feeding our family is an expensive proposition no matter how hard we try to keep the cost down since we have multiple members with dairy allergies, and people who need to eat gluten free. We also seem to need plenty of protein (that pesky hypoglycemia!) and of course, that adds to the cost too! So while I often can't find that many food coupons that would be helpful, sometimes I do.  I also depend on coupons for razors and other house hold items that helps stretch our budget.

Well, as you can imagine, sometimes when we go to search for coupons our family can use, the pickings are slim at times. I used to start to feel stressed and unhappy as I would paw through the stack. After all, how were we going to make the limited funds stretch that week without coupons?!

One day it occurred to me that it would do me a lot more good to simply choose to believe that God knows about my needs and to accept any coupons I find as a "bonus" of sorts. That helps me to stay happy while sorting through coupons, whether or not I find any or many. Coupons are something I am thankful for when they are provided for me. But whether there are coupons or not coupons, I am trying to choose to trust. That has taken the stress out of couponing for me and turned it into a mainly enjoyable activity.

If Charity or Kristina can help me look through the coupons, it definitely is an even more fun time! Sometimes one or the other of them helps me clip and sort the coupons at a later time and get them organized into my coupon binder. My favorite way to handle that chore is to grab a cup of unsweetened tea at a quiet Subway in our area and get to work while Katya is at her music lesson with her respite provider. When I keep thinking I will "be good" and get it done when I am at home, it often just does not happen. Then coupons expire or get lost because they are not properly stored. That has happened to me often enough that I have come to realize that I really save money in the long run by grabbing the tea, plunking my binder on the table and getting to work! I carry scissors fastened to my binder, and an envelope to put coupons into that I may not want to go back to the library,  so everything I need is handy for a quick couponing session.

Today I saved $25.00 on a shopping trip to Wal-mart because of coupons. While I often do not do that well, I'm happy that I could this time. Successes like this make me happy to keep on couponing.

What tips and tricks do you find helpful if you are couponing? Do you like to coupon and find it fulfilling, or is it only a necessity that you engage in out of need? Leave a comment or link to a blog post of yours that is about how you coupon!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope Ann,
I have been a long time lurker on your blog, praying for your family for a long time. I also coupon, and have found that for me, making sure I carry the binder with me in the car even if I don't have a trip to the store planned is the best tip I have. I also bought myself a paper cutter. I can knock out an entire week's paper during a TV program, and will usually plan to do it on Sunday night after my kiddos are in bed. I've found that if I don't do it then, frequently the inserts don't get processed before I next go to the store. I also keep a stack of business envelopes in my binder. I don't have a local swap available, but I have two friends who do foster care (one is a momma, the other is a social worker) in two different parts of the country. Each week, the coupons I don't use get sent to one or the other of them. For a time, I sent any recently expired coupons to an acquaintance on a military base who was able to use them at the PX.

WestOak Bulldogs said...

Check out pocket your dollars on face book. I believe she has a website too. She matches sales with coupons and tells you where you can get the best deals