"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Katya Likes Oatmeal

For anyone wondering from my previous post--Katya LOVES oatmeal. ;-) She asked for it that morning.

Also, she LOVES my homemade granola with dairy free chocolate chips! ;-) In fact, as nearly as we can tell, homemade granola is her favorite breakfast food! ;-) She also thinks it makes a good snack and will ask for it for that too!

The first time or so that I made a batch after she was home she did not care for it at all, but by the third time she was hooked and has loved it every since. I actually make it a good bit just because she loves it so much. ;-)  And oh happiness! She can now say, "ip! ip!" for "chip" to let us know she wants chocolate chips! So much easier for Katya than signing chocolate chip! See for yourself!

Here is the sign for chocolate: http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/CHOCOLATE/530/1

And here is the sign for chip: http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/CHIP/6667/1

Try doing that when you are holding your bowl of granola and a spoon, prior to heading to the table! Saying, "ip! ip!" is so much easier! ;-)

And you want my homemade granola recipe you say?? Well, unfortunately, I do not have an exact recipe to share with you . . . I just dump and mix. But I can give you the approximate directions.

Hope Anne's HomeMade Granola

One large bag old fashioned rolled oats (I use several lbs from our bulk food store)

Salt, cinnamon to taste

Coconut oil and olive oil (for the amount I make, usually one cup of each

Brown sugar to taste (we use about two loose cups for our large batch)

Nuts--we like a mix of walnuts and pecans if we have them, but have used other nuts too depending on what we were given or found at the "Bent and Dent" store.

Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly together in large mixing bowl, then slowly drizzle melted coconut oil and olive oil over, stirring well.

Place in greased baking pan, and slowly bake in a 350 oven, stirring periodically until toasted as much as you want it to be. Add coconut flakes to taste, and stir well.

Cool, then store in a tight container. (Love my old trusty Tupperware cereal box for this one!)

Serve in bowls with milk (Rice Milk at this house) and chocolate chips (diary free at our house). Mmmmm!

1 comment:

Milena said...

I never thought anything else than that Katya loves oatmeal :-). I just found it funny that my first thought, based on my own feelings, was "oh, poor Katya"!
The granola sounds really yummy though. I never knew what granola was before I read your description. Here it is called müsli - I think the word is German.
We have boxes of oatmeal and rye flakes, sunflower seeds and flax seeds and our children add whatever they want to their bowls and pour yoghurt on it. And raisins too :-).