"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

One of the World's Most Lovely Words

Sunday, after a wonderful service highlighting "Disability Awareness", we rolled out of town and headed north. Met friends of ours, dropped off Chad and Kristina with their school books and duffle bags, and then zagged across the country as fast as we could to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD.

We managed to finally get to the Children's House soon after 9:00 PM. Got checked in, went to our room, and tried to settle down for the night. Katya was really wound up and sleep did not come till very late for her, and she was back awake by 7:00 AM Monday.

However, she was content to snuggle in bed for awhile, and when I glanced over at her I saw Katya working her mouth HARD. She kept moving it with tremendous concentration, and then suddenly . . . suddenly . . . across the air came the sweetest word ever . . . "MAMA" in an Audible WHISPER.

Oh my word. What tears of joy!!!! I may never heard it again, since Katya seems to get a word and then LOSE it again, but I DID hear it. She was so delighted with herself, that she worked her mouth some more and guess what came out next?! "Papa!" (The Russian word for Daddy). She clearly said that a few times, and then the rest of the trip, if we would coax her to say it, it would only come out "Ma" and "Pa".

However, we'll take that. Just never dreamed we'd end up being "Ma and Pa" to anyone, but after all the times I have mentally prayed, "Let me hear her voice!" and prayed and prayed for Katya to learn to speak, hearing that "Mama" as clear as could be, even though in a whisper, was enough to MAKE MY WEEK.

I think it made Katya's too. What do you think when you look at that gorgeous smile she gave me?!


Photo: Look at the joy this morning!

4 comments:

r. said...

Way to go, Katya!

Keri said...

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

Laura Elizabeth said...

That is so sweet :D Three cheers, Katya!
We started calling our parents 'Ma' and 'Pa' years ago, because of Little House on the Prairie. I think they're good titles, myself :D

Anonymous said...

That's soooo beautiful!

Shauna