"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Home Work

One thing that is new for Katya this year is home work. She has a Special Ed teacher who believes that home work is very important and always tries to send home a variety of it for Katya to work on each night. She also includes a book or two (sometimes three!) that Katya has chosen from her carefully selected library collection or from books the teacher has collected from our local library system. Katya enjoys us reading them to her.






Photo

Her attention span for books is improving greatly! You would never guess now that she was the child who came home and would scream and try to take the books away from us when we read them to her!

She also has a lot of flash cards and written work. I think her teacher does a good job of trying to provide variety in what she sends home each evening.



Charity and Kristina are very helpful in assisting me with Katya's home work. Especially the signing portions--their grasp is better than mine and so it's easier for them to quickly flash through the cards with Katya. I'm way behind where they are at with ASL, even though I continue to add new signs regularly!

This week they are starting to teach Katya how to read and sign sentences such as, "I want a book" or "I like a bike." I love what the Special Ed teacher said at the IEP meeting--"At this point, there is no telling how high and how far Katya is going to go. I'm going to let her soar as high and as far as she can go, and I'll be behind her pushing her on!" YES. Exactly.

No comments: