"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Balancing Act

Trying to balance the needs of Katya versus the needs of the rest of our kids is always a challenge. When questioned about that recently, I answered truthfully that I think we work hard at that, and do actually pretty well, given the challenges we face.

I still stand by that. We DO work hard and we DO well at trying to provide for the needs of all our children. But it's a fine balancing act. And sometimes we tip more one direction than is good. And that causes trouble, no matter which direction we over-balance in.

This weekend it seems we have "over balanced" trying to meet the needs of the rest of the family. This is not good for Katya. And then that means it's not good for the rest of us. 'Cause if Katya ain't happy, no body is happy!

We are sitting here feeling very wrung out . . . and not sure how much of what is currently going on with Katya is stress related (my Mommy gut says it IS) or how much is strictly physical.

If anyone feels up to saying a few extra prayers for Katya and our family, we would appreciate it, deeply.

6 comments:

Leah said...

Praying!

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog since last year, and it has given me such joy to see Katya continuing to blossom out. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Astrin Ymris said...

I will, but I actually just shot over to share with you a article I just learned about from the ReformTalk site, and ask if you could share it with the Russian adoption community.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html

It explains WHY the Dima Yakovlev/Chase Harrison death occurred. It wasn't that the Harrisons were in any way neglectful parents-- it's a fatal mismatch between the way our brains evolved and American child safety seat laws. Russians may not realize that in the U.S., a child in a car seat is OF COURSE in the back seat, so they might not understand that yes, a parent COULD leave a car without realizing that they forgot to drop the baby off at day care.

BTW, your captcha code generator yields a lot of ambiguous letters. Just sayin'

Hope Anne said...

Hello, Astrin Ymris. Thanks for sharing the link. I will share it on my blog, and on FB. It is going around the Russian adoption community in both English and Russian--see this link for one example: http://karensadoptionlinks.blogspot.com/2013/01/chase-harrison-dima-yakovlev.html

Thanks and have a good day!

Karen said...

Thank you Hope Ann for posting the link with the Russian version of the "Fatal Distraction" story from my blog.

You and Astrim may both be interested in the Dec 2008 series of blog posts I did on car seats, car seat deaths and the Miles Harrison verdict.

Dec 2008 Blog posts

The post entitled The death of Chase Harrison/Dmitry Yakovlev has gotten lots of traffic from USA and Russia over the years. The verdict, whether fair or not, is not unusual for car seat deaths in USA.

None of this has anything to do with your joyful Katya, but I do enjoy your blog, so thought I'd say hi!

M said...

I certainly will be praying for you and your family. I love your blog, and it is very evident how much you love your family and how good you all are for precious Katya. Thanks for your blog--it's very inspiring!