"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Friday, June 28, 2013

Just a FYI

For those who think that they can read a blog and accurately understand a family and their decisions, please be aware that much is not revealed on a blog.

I blog honestly. But I don't "tell all". I blog with the awareness that:

 #1. While many of my dear friends and relatives read my blog, strangers also read my blog.

 #2. Someday Katya may very well read this blog. I don't want to blog anything that she will be upset about having had me share. Yes, I want to be realistic and honest, but neither do I want to post potentially embarrassing stories or photos that could hurt her some day.

#3. Not every thing that goes in our family's life is the whole world's business. There's a reason you put on nice clothes to go to town, even though you may lounge comfortably in the house in a ratty old T and a pair of worn out sweat pants. And just because you put on nicer clothing to appear in public doesn't mean that you are "aren't honest". It just means you respect yourself and others enough that you keep some things at home and personal. I believe it's the same with my blogging. There really is a thing called "Too Much Information", also known as "TMI".

I am aware that some people read adoptive parent's blogs, looking for anything to criticize. And while that might be a fun occupation for them, it doesn't mean that their perceptions of "reality" are accurate. I don't have time to "tell all". And I don't even want to "tell all" even if I had time. Some things are not necessary to blog about. Some things are not wise to blog about.

So when you read Katya's blog, just be aware. there is much you don't know about our family. There is much you don't always  know about the decision making process behind many of our decisions and choices. And that's OK. This is a blog. I blog honestly, but I don't "tell all".  And that's OK.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

You are so right!

I love praying for your family as I read... and not just for Katya :-) Your posts are encouraging for other adoptive families and for families with children who have special needs. I have remembered a few things you have shared while working with special needs kids at school (I'm now a substitute and never know where I'll be working.)

Always protect your family and share with us only what God has lead you to share!

Anonymous said...

You are so right! I try to live by that too, despite not blogging :-). Everything I say must be true, but I don't have to share the whole truth!
I realize that this post may be prompted by someone being nasty towards you, and I'm truly sorry about that. I find your blog very encouraging and real, in a nice way. TMI isn't nice for the reader either :-) !
/Milena

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right! I don't blog and this is true even in my family. I have 2 adopted kids each with their own special needs and only a select few people even know the daily struggles we sometimes face. Most of the world (even, and sometimes especially, friends and family) wouldn't understand... Thank you for what you do share and God bless you for all that you do for Katya every minute of every day. Debby_in_MA

hoonew said...

It is very revealing when others have nothing better to do than criticize and judge others. I enjoy everything you choose to tell, and am sure your judgement is appropriate on what or what not to discuss.

I love the fawn!