"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Much Needed Date

This afternoon, Charity lovingly handed me her camera, and shooed her Dad and me out the door for a much needed date.

The spring weather was perfectly lovely. The temperatures were ideal for walking in a garden, so that is exactly what we did.



Paul and I had not had a date in a while. It was so good to be out together. I am trying to regain the strength I lost while I was so sick, and walking in a garden is a perfect way to do so.


I had fun being allowed to use Charity's camera! I used to take lots of pictures when I was younger, but I've gotten away from it--partially as I don't have a camera that makes me happy and also just generally too busy. Charity is better at photos than I am, but I still love trying my hand at it now and then.




The frogs were numerous. and while not elegant, they were impressive in size!


Flowers carpeted the ground.



We were tempted into the woods


where large rocks filled my soul with delight.


and the honey combed undersides filled us with curiosity.


The burbling of the creek made my heart sing. I stored the sound in my mind, but I did not try to photograph it.
On our way out of the garden, we ran into a lovely couple. We ended up standing and talking. Katya's story got shared a little bit, and their eyes were warm with interest and compassion. They wondered how we had managed to get out alone and we shared about how kind Charity had been to send us out for a much needed date. They told us that they had been married 50 years and encouraged us to do whatever it took to keep our marriage strong. It was a good reminder  . . . as parents of several special needs kiddos, the strain on us can be very big. It's important to know that we must do what it takes to keep our relationship healthy and strong. We have nothing to give our children if we don't stay healthy ourselves. After a lovely chat with them, we parted, wishing each other God's blessings.

After leaving the garden, we drove to a new place of visual delights. I love spring!



 I spied a welcome splash of reddish pink! A tulip!





And we discovered a little tucked away pool full of fish!


All too soon, it was time to head home. But my heart felt a little lighter, my lungs more oxygenated, and my legs nicely exercised! It was so special to spend time with Paul getting to enjoy spring. I'm so grateful for Charity's unselfish heart, and her willingness to child sit. Hopefully, we get a good night's sleep and then are ready to face the challenges that this very full week looks to be bringing!

What's your favorite thing to do on a date with your spouse?!

2 comments:

jabreman said...

What a great date!

We've been married 15 years and our favorite date includes going to our favorite, cheap hole-in-the-wall restaurant, getting food to go and sitting the back of our minivan with the seats down and watching either a movie or our favorite show! nothing fancy but we are always delighted for the time away, favorite company and good food!

Charity sounds like an incredible young woman.

Candace said...

My absolute favorite thing to do is exacrtly what you did. Take a walk outside. I am going to plan a trip to the zoo this summer with just the baby! hee hee. Thanks for the reminder. We need a date desperately!