"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday

A year ago, we spent Easter Sunday in Baltimore. Easter was later in the year--not until into April, and Katya had just recently been released from the hospital, but we weren't allowed to leave Baltimore yet. Dr. Carson cleared us to attend church together when we asked if we could do that, and so it was really our first "outing" with Katya post op. We were thankful she was alive, thankful she was out of the hospital, and thankful to be able to go to church together (those of us who were in Baltimore), but we longed for our home and our own church, and most importantly, the rest of our kiddos!

So it was great thanfulness that we went to church together today at our own church, worshipped joyfully,
 and then came home to our own house to eat lunch together!

Charity combed Katya's hair today for church, and while she managed to snag a photo of Katya looking at herself in the mirror, she didn't get any other photos of the kiddos all dressed nicely for church. Too bad. Ah well.


This picture is very special, as less than two years ago, Katya would fight to try to make sure she didn't see herself in a mirror. She would physically block the view with her hands while turning as fast as she could to make sure she did not see any thing of herself. Look carefully, do you see the cute little smile she has in the mirror?!

I'm so glad that as we speak love and truth into her life, her views about herself are changing!




After a yummy lunch of ham, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, and salad, I crawled wearily into bed for a nap. While I'm getting healthier, I still don't have all my energy back and have to be very careful not to over do.

Happily, when I woke up, I felt energized enough to help the kiddos start working on Mother's Day cards to send out come that time of year.

 
It felt really good to be able to be creative with my hands and brain again with the kiddos. I think we just often enough don't squeeze time in for that type of activity. Hopefully we can do more of it this year. I think it's so good for all of our brains. ;-)

On Friday and Saturday, we took a "Stay-Cation" as Katya was out of school on Spring Break. We had a great time and I think Katya really had fun! Hopefully some photos and blogging will be able to be done about that in the next few days . . .

2 comments:

Hevel said...

I'm so glad you were feeling better and you could all go together! I was hoping for that!

Now aren't you wise to start ahead on Mother's Day! I will have to remember to do that.

Hope Anne said...

Hevel, I was happy too-as was everyone, I think. And I'm not usually so "on top" of getting cards done, but was desperate to TRY. Now lets hope I can remember to get them completely done and mailed in a timely manner!