"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Let Down

It was a very let-down feeling that I had after coming home today from violin class with Charity to find Katya looking wan and curled up in a miserable ball on her Daddy's lap. I took over, and it soon became apparent that she had a headache and fever. We did the cold peas almost all afternoon and evening, clear up till bedtime.


She didn't want to eat more than a few bites of anything--we finally got a couple bits of fresh strawberries and some coconut yogurt into her right before she went to bed, and she didn't even want her normally very, very dearly loved bath either.



Once again, we are asking for your prayers for Katya. She's in bed right now, sleeping lightly. I'd have been willing to keep her in my lap downstairs, but she indicated that she wanted to go up to her bed like usual. Thankfully, her two big sisters share the room with her and will keep ears open for her during the night. I'm praying she wakes up feeling better in the AM.

2 comments:

Tabor Linden Schmidt said...

I am not wanting to be rude or somehow dismissive of Katya's excellent doctors or your Mama instincts.

But, do you notice Katya having headaches with with weather changes? I was in a very bad car wreck at 14 and my left side of my face was turned into a mess and my right side had some fractures.

Since then, if the barometric pressure changes, it's a guaranteed headache.

Cold helps 80% of the time. It also helps for me if it's over my eyes - where I have permanent titanium mesh - and my neck - which just is where I carry tension.

If cold isn't working, alternating warm and cold sometimes does.

I know more or less if I'm going to have a bad day from tracking headaches and the pressures. I'm worse with a rapid change. So, I then start pre treating, but I understand not wanting to use a lot of medication.

Cold caffeine actually helps me some days, if you haven't tried that and are ok with that.

I also use a herbal balm I get of etsy. I'd be glad to order you one, if you'd like to try it.

Unfortunately, some days, the headache wins. Hopefully, Katya's will get better soon!

Anonymous said...

My sister was hit on the head with a swing when she was 3 and suffered 'dizzy spells' after that. She actually had damaged her inner ear, where one's balance is ....don't recall the scientific aspects. Anyway, I think you could liken Katya's condition to a head injury. Real healing takes loads of time before things become stable. Poor sweet little girl. She's so lucky to have a loving and gentle family.

S.