"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Happy Days Are Here Again!

Yes, they are!!!

Katya is feeling so much better since we figured out that she has TMJ and have started treating it! Gone are the headaches, she's gaining weight again, and getting some pink back to her face!

She has been able to be in school all day each day since school started back up on Tuesday. She's bringing home some good papers, AND her teacher happily reported that today when she was asked something in class, Katya said, "yeah". The other kids heard her and were so excited! ;-)

Today, I was actually able to get OUT OF THE HOUSE with the home-schooled kids! I just had to say, "Forget it!" to the housework, the school work, and the stacks of paper work . We busted out and ran some "real life teaching" errands. These included a stop at the bank to help Charity deposit some of her earnings from the violin classes she teaches. Her teacher said she needs to upgrade her bow before she begins performing more in public, so that means she has been carefully saving every thing she can towards that goal.

We also went to the library and re-stocked on books. It was so good to get to run errands and go to the library with the kiddos. We are going to be enjoying our new reading material for awhile as we stocked up.

After we got home, we quickly unloaded groceries, and then I took Kristina and went to school to get Katya. We then trundled off to her appointment. By the time we got home, it was supper time, then time for baths and bed.

In other news, we got the appointment dates today for Katya's one year follow-up at Johns Hopkins. She will be seeing both of her regular Doctors--Dr. Amir Dorafshar, and Dr. Ben Carson. She will also see a new Dr.--a vision specialist--Dr. Repka. We are hopeful that he will have some guidance for us with Katya's vision issues. We won't be going till towards the end of April, so it will end up being a little past a year post-op. Hard to believe that next month it will be one whole year since we had to hand our girlie over for that grueling 9.5 hours of surgery (12 hours under GA due to all the prep time required for the surgery--and then another 2 hours or so till we were allowed to see her in the PICU, so about 14 plus hours we went without seeing her that day. . . . it was a LONG, LONG day, that started early in the AM and did not "end" till way late into the night when I traded off with Paul after he got a bit of sleep and then spent the rest of the night with her while I slept.)

How we thank God for keeping her alive and for the progress she is making! Thank you for praying for Katya and our family. We appreciate each and every prayer!

1 comment:

Milena said...

Wow!! I'm absolutely thrilled to read such positive news from you! I'm so so happy for you all!