"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Growth

Katya shows growth. Growth physically (the clothes of hers that I just sold are a sharp reminder of that! In less than two years, she has gone from a size 3T to 7's!) Growth emotionally. (She now comes readily to us seeking affection and desiring comfort if she doesn't feel well.) Growth in overcoming horrendous fears. (Katya now will feed the goldfish, and even put her fingers into the water! She also is starting to cautiously touch the tail of the dog that is owned by her respite care providers.) Katya is also growing academically. (Her LD teacher told me today that they believe Katya knows how to read and spell "sit" and "play" now and are adding in additional words.)

Along with Katya, I think the rest of our family has been growing. Growing in patience, growing in love, growing in faith and dependence on God, and so many other things. These are all good things.

Along with all those things, some of the family have been growing in their ability to handle more responsibility. With all the many medical appointments I am needing to take Katya to, my hours at home to accomplish things are being cut as much as 5 to 6 hours a week less than what I was having. Even that didn't feel like "enough time"--now, I have even less.

Thankfully, Kristina has been stepping up to the plate and helping more with things such as food prep. Today when I needed to take both of the youngest kiddos to the Dr., I needed Charity along with me to help since Katya requires a full time person around her when Chad is present in a situation like that. When we arrived back home, Kristina had taken the pound of deer burger I had pulled out earlier in the day to thaw and turned it into a pot of delicious vegetable soup. It was her first time to make soup all on her own, and although I had helped by giving her a list of ingredients prior to leaving, she still had to figure out the amounts, prep and chop all the vegetables etc. She had done a **great** job and we were very thankful and happy to sit down and eat that nice warm soup!

We made sure to save enough for Katya to take in her thermos to school tomorrow since soup is what she wants for lunch every day. Other than that, it was eaten all up! No left-overs for the fridge!

It's good to see our children growing.

No comments: