"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Sunday, January 6, 2013

When We Are Weak . . . .

 . . . He is strong.

 . . . He is still present.

 . . . He often sends support.


Today at church tears were not just at the surface, but kept filling my eyes and spilling down my cheeks. It might have had a little something to do with the fact that my health has been a little loopy the last while. It had a LOT to do with the day-to-day stress of parenting Katya, and seeing her struggle as a non-verbal child in a verbal world.

Thankfully, it was our monthly "Prayer and Share" instead of Sunday School. Opening up just a little bit to the other ladies in my group brought tears. Having them pray for us brought tears rolling down my cheeks.

Tears were still at the surface as we moved from prayer time into the Praise and Worship portion of our service. The young man who was in charge today decided to have us do something our church had not done before, that even in my teary state of mind I found humor in, as it reminded me so much of the "Christian Version" of Running the Gauntlet, an old form of "proving", punishment, or "torture"--depending on how and who . . .

We were lined up close to each other in two rows, and as people moved down between us, we laid a hand on their shoulder and said a word or short prayer God brought to our minds for them. As people compled the gauntlet  rows, they moved in at the bottom and the next people moved into the middle and walked down between. It didn't take long, but basically it meant you just had approximately 50 or so people pray for you in the frame of a minute or thereabouts.

Katya was of course in a tizzy about this change in her routine, and HAD to have Mommy carry her, so as we moved down the row, she was screeching indignantly about every one touching HER precious Mommy--or her--either one--it didn't matter.

In spite of the screeching, and needing to keep on moving  . . . I heard enough snatches of prayers that my tears over-flowed again. God was good to allow that to be on the agenda today. One prayer in particular I caught, said fervently--something like this--"God, help the Duecks in all their challenges, and give them wisdom, especially with Katya".

This time of prayer was a huge encouragement to me.


I hope that on some level it brought peace to Katya as well, even though she didn't understand it.
After church, the young adult who had been in charge of the service came over and said he felt led to pray for Katya specifically again. He did so. Tears again.

God is good to provide support for us through the prayers of others when we most urgently need it.


At any rate, Katya had a good rest of the day, and seemed happy and calmer than often. So I think it did her some good as well on a deep, spiritual level.


Isn't she a dear?!

All photos taken today after church, and used by permission of Wares By Cherry. And by the way, she has a blog post up about Katya's 8th birthday, complete with a link to a ***VIDEO*** of Katya trying to help sing Happy Birthday on her 8th birthday! Check it out, and leave "Cherry" a comment!

********************************************************************************

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."  (2 Corinthians 12:9)

1 comment:

Milena said...

Katya is a little sweetie. The photos of her all show a pretty little girl, nicely dressed in cozy and pretty winter clothes! I'm happy for you that you have her and I wish you all necessary strength and wisdom in parenting her - and your other sweet treasures!