"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Swamped

Katya's medical needs this week have utterly swamped me. First there was the trip to Baltimore on Sunday/Monday. Then Tuesday night she didn't have a good night at all, complete with two out-of-the-norm accidents that kept me busy most of Wednesday washing and drying laundry. Before I was even done with that, a phone call at 3:10 p.m. from the school alerting me to the fact that Katya had a temp of 101.6 and needed her Mommy.

When I showed up at the school, I decided that I wanted to talk with our Dr's office and see what they thought. The office told me to come straight in, so I went. Ended up not getting home till after 7:00 pm as there were a lot of tests that needed to be run, and then we got sent to the hospital for a CT scan with contrast.

My flat and non-emotional telling doesn't begin to touch the tip of what all went on, but I am emotionally and physically wiped and it's all I have right now.

Needless to say, I haven't been able to follow through with the whole drawing announcement for the Giveaway, but I haven't forgotten and I will do it as soon as I can.

In the meantime, please keep our sweet Katya and us in prayers. She is still running a fever and at home. The verdict seems to be that lacking any signs of anything else, the fever and elevated white blood count etc. are related to the hematoma. According to her plastic surgeon (who is our Star Doctor right now) this can happen sometimes.

The only thing to do is try to support Katya's immune system through rest, fluids and good nutrition, and monitor closely for infection. Thankfully, Katya's temp today has overall been lower than 101 and she is eating and drinking OK, and seems to be stable.

Pray for our family. Many times when I ask you to pray, there is much going on far beyond the scope of what I post. That is the case tonight again.

1 comment:

:)De said...

Thinking of and praying for you all often.

Peace,
:)De