"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Dear President Putin


Below is the text of Kristina's letter to President Vladimir Putin, the Russian President. She sent him essentially the same letter she sent to the Ambassador, only she tweaked it, adding some things, and changing some others. For those who believe that we should only speak "peace" and make conciliatory remarks, this letter won't fit into that category. However, President Putin and his advisers need to hear from Russian born adoptees. This letter is a tame version of what my Russian born daughter wished to say to her birth country's leader.

Text as follows:

Dear President Putin:

My name is Kristina Dueck, formerly Kristina Nepoklovnova. I was born in Khabarovsk, Russia and was put in a orphanage at birth until I was adopted by my American parents. I am now a proud Russian and American citizen. I am writing this letter to express my sadness that you are banning Russian adoptions by Americans.

It makes me very heartbroken that you are depriving those orphans. Why are you doing this? What are the orphans going to do? They can't speak up, and if they could, the people probably wouldn't listen. That is why I am speaking up for them, and I don't know if you will, but I sincerely hope that you YOURSELF read this letter.

I mentioned earlier that I was adopted from Russia. I am so glad that the Russian Government allowed me to be adopted. I was adopted when I was five and a half. I don't know what I would have done if I wasn't adopted then. I had been declared an "imbecile" by a panel of doctors. Since I had been declared an "imbecile" I would have been sent for life to one of the mental institutions like special needs orphans in Russia are. Is that what you want? If you allowed adoptions by Americans, then I don't think those kids would lead such a sad life, plus they wouldn't miss out on great opportunities. They also would be able to have a good education and later find a job, even if they were handicapped.

I am happy that I was adopted because I know have a loving family. I have a mother to take care of me when I am sick, also my parents and older siblings help me out with school. I know it would have been hard for me to have a good education in Russia. Here in America I take music lessons, am currently in sixth grade and can go through all twelve grades in school, graduate, then go to college. My plan is to become a pediatric physical therapist and an accomplished organist! Someday I hope to take my skills learned in America back to Russia and help Russian orphans.

I enjoy having a good family. I have an older brother and sister, and two little siblings, one which was adopted from Ukraine. My family and I enjoy doing Russian and Ukrainian traditions such as having a New Years' tree instead of a Christmas tree. Another thing I like is that my Mom and Dad help me out in school and they do fun things with me and my siblings sometimes when we are not in school! One of the fun things my family did a cople of years ago, was going to the Easter Party at the Russian Embassy, and another time we went to the beach for a week!

So this is what all those underprivileged orphans are going to miss out on because of the ban of Russian adoptions by Americans. If you leave this ban, it's going to hurt innocent kids, which often happens when people do things like this. Will you please change this ban? It would give the kids opportunities in life. It would also make me and my fellow orphans who have been adopted by Americans very happy! [Thank you in Russian].

Sincerely Yours,
Kristina Yelena Dueck

 

1 comment:

belehcar said...

Thanks for posting this. She is very articulate :).