"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Creativity

I was blessed with a chance to exercise an unusual amount of creativity in the last 48 hours. While Paul had the kiddos yesterday, I dug out the doll quilt I had started working on over two years ago for a niece.




The colors are a bit off due to the poor evening lighting . . .  but it's all soft, cozy flannel with pinks, greens, and Raggedy Ann and Andy fabric. Most of the fabric was purchased from the remnant bin, here a piece and there a piece. The exception was the Raggedy Ann and Andy fabric, which came from Hobby Lobby a few years ago.

At first I was going to just put the two layers of flannel together, and let it go at that, but it seemed like it was missing something. So I dug in my stash and pulled out a bag of quilt batting. Originally boasting a "special price" of $10,99, I found the brand new package for $2.99 at our thrift store one day and carted it home to the stash. Good thing! It worked perfectly for this project. I added in some comfort "knots" in the form of pink floss from a huge collection of embroidery flosses we purchased once at a yard sale for 25 cents (all nicely and neatly wrapped around cards and stored in a plastic organizer!). When my family came home, the project was complete except for the binding! I can't wait to finish it and then hand it off to the little lady for her dollies. ;-)

The other project was born after I saw a photo floating around on Facebook with the idea of covering oranage peels in vinegar and letting soak for awhile, then straining  and using the orange oil infused vinegar to clean your house.

Charity and I had our minds go churning, and we decided to try adding a whole Cinnamon stick, some cloves, and all spice to the mix. It looks lovely right now and I will be eager to see what it ends up looking and smelling like! If it works as well as I'm hoping it will, I suspect I will be enjoying some lovely scented cleaning product for peanuts price-wise. ;-)


It's good to be able to feel creative again.

What are some of your favorite creative things to do?

4 comments:

Natalia said...

Happy birthday - a bit late. My grandmother used to make something like that cleaning product, but she used lime peels instead. Orange peels were used for sweets. Good memories :)

Tabor Linden Schmidt said...

I mix citrus peels, keep them in the freezer, then salt them for a half hour, then cover with white vinegar. 2 weeks works for super cleaning, a month will knock out the vinegar smell.

I also dilute mine, half vinegar, half distilled water. Works just as well, goes farther and doesn't wreck the spray bottle as fast.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I am curious to hear how the cleaner will work. I use vinegar and water on my floors, and orange oil cleaners on other things which are not floors. Is this also what you do?

Glad you had some creative free time!

S.

Hope Anne said...

Anon: I plan to use this mixture in my loads of socks and underwear, and also as a general household cleaner for floors/sinks/counters etc.