"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Saturday, December 8, 2012

What a Lovely Smile!



This smile fills my heart with joy . . . . I wanted to document day 7 of Katya's journey with the swelling, and when she saw the camera, this is what I got!! What a HUGE contrast from the days when she would frown and hide her face from us when we wanted a photo, and even try to physically block the camera lense with her hand.

We can see there is still some swelling, but it's much better than it was, and Katya's improved disposition (in general) lets us know we are going in a good direction.

And just for anyhow, I had to include this photo too. Any of my readers remember what Katya's hair looked like when she first came home?!

Contrast that to NOW.

 
We are still so happy that Dr. Dorafshar preserved as much of Kaya's hair as he could after he found out that was a huge issue to her! Like I told him at the time, "I don't know if Johns Hopkins has a patient sensitivity award or not, but if it does, you deserve it!" We wouldn't have this lovely head of hair if he had done what he normally did and shaved her entire head pre-op. Thanks to his willingness to work with her hair in corn rows, and my friend, Janet's willingness to come 2 hours one way I believe it was, to use her experience working in a Haitian orphanage to corn row Katya's hair, Katya's lovely golden locks were largely saved!
So thankful.
**************************************************************************
 

2 comments:

Christie Minich said...

What a sweet picture that captures her personality! :) And her hair is beautiful! I remember her hair when she first came home. What a difference!

Milena said...

I'm so happy that Katya's getting better! And I'm filled with joy to see both her adorable smile and her long hair! She is healing through your ever-patient love. Wonderful!