"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Oh Dear . . . .

 . . . Katya was still running a low grade fever when we took her in to her family Dr. today for a check-up. I would never have guessed it, as she acted like she felt fine! That, combined with the fact that her throat was "gunky" had Dr. J. decide to keep her out of school till Friday. Thankfully, her ears finally look pristine, and her lungs were clear.

But dear me--Katya will have ended up missing school for most of the month of December! That sure is not what we wanted to have happen. She had been doing so well until all this cascade of illnesses happened.

At least after we got home, she happily spent the day puttering around the house coloring, playing with her Legos, and helping in the kitchen.

Paul doesn't have any work right now (yes, we could use some prayers about that) and so he was around to help keep an eye and ear on things. I was actually able to lay down and sleep for about 2 hours which did a lot to help me feel like I'm beating my virus back. Unfortunately, when I got up, Kristina had succumed to it now, and was miserable.

Hopefully, we all soon get shed of this bug and are back to our happy. healthy selves. I'm a bit shocked at how hard it has hit some of us, but I know our family has been under tremendous stress in many, many areas of our lives the last several years, with no vacation, and I suppose it's not entirely shocking that we will start to see some areas of life just not doing too well.

It is well known that parenting a child with special needs puts significant levels of stress on a marriage and family. We are thankful for the strength God gives us and for the support we do have. However, I won't pretend that it's easy or that we are all doing super great. I think we are doing well given the challenges we are facing, thanks to God, but the stress and especially lately, the lack of sleep and general stress is taking a huge, huge toll on our family. I feel like there is not enough of me to go around to meet all my kid's need for time, attention and teaching. Things that could seem like a simple thing to others feel overwhelming right now to our family.

If you are are a parent of a child with special needs, what do you do to ensure a healthy, intact marriage and family?

And if you have been involved otherwise with a situation as a care-giver and want to chime in, please feel free to do so! All helpful and supportive comments are welcomed.

1 comment:

fiddlejig said...

Do good things for one another. They can be tiny -- a touch, a kiss, a very brief note, a tiny tasty treat left to find on a pillow. Just keep doing them, as often as you can.