"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Monday, October 29, 2012

Dental News

Today Katya had a routine dental exam scheduled for first thing in the morning. So off we went to our very awesome dentist.

She did much better than she did back in April, post op. Then she was so anxious that it was painful to see, and in spite of what he did to try to minimize her anxiety (and it was a lot) Katya still probably had an anxiety level of 6 or  7 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Due to how anxious and restless Katya is, no X-rays have ever been able to be taken of her mouth. And I had a bad feeling before we went in today that we would get some bad news. Sure enough--she has a mess in her mouth--a cavity that evidently started between two teeth has spread out and down, and is now visible and ugly. Dr. M. said it's so bad to the naked eye that he is quite sure an X-ray would show it being very close to her nerves, thus requiring extensive work, and then a crown for good measure. She also had 2 other smaller cavities.

The bad news is that to get this mess all cleaned up is going to cost around $2,000 or a bit more, since she will have to have IV sedation. No one believes that with her level of Post Traumatic Stress that she will be able to get through this dental work on anything less--not her Mommy, not her Daddy, nor her dentist. As Dr. M. said, "I bet I could get it done with laughing gas but we are talking someone holding down her hands and someone her feet, and I just don't feel like it's right to even think about doing that to her, given her past history."

I promptly assured him that there was NO WAY I would let anyone do that to Katya, knowing every thing I know.

Our insurance will not cover any of the dental stuff. We are waiting to find out if they will at least cover the anesthesia portion. Even if they agree to do that, we are still looking at well over $1,000 for the X-rays that will be done after she is out, and the dental work. At this point, I don't know what else to do but pray about it. Paul's work has not been such the last year that we have that type of money. We could probably go to our capital city and get the work done for free or nearly free at a dental clinic, but we would be working with staff who don't understand Katya's history and who don't have her trust as much as Dr. M. does. We really feel that having Dr. M. do the work is best for Katya, but we can't see how this is supposed to work out right now.

I have determined to pray about it and while seeking other options, hope and pray that the doors are opened for us to be able to have it done soon with Dr. M. before Katya begins to be in pain from the badly decayed teeth.

After that tale of woe, we need some sweetness, right?!

Behold Katya's braid coronet today before we left for the dentist.


Her big sister, Charity, lovingly does this for her now and then.

At the dentist, Katya got a crown from the goody box for being cooperative. She LOVED it, and insisted on wearing it to school! Amazingly, it fit tightly on her head!

She wore it all day till I came to pick her up, even though the coronet braid and her hair band were all pulled out (like usual). She wore the crown to music class.


And she wore the crown home, and clear up till she took her bath!






We love you, Princess Katya!!!

3 comments:

Hevel Cohen said...

What a lovely tiara/crown. :D Shows how much Katya is just like a typical little girl.

Stay safe!

Jenny P. said...

I wonder if the recent problems she had with pain/headaches - were actually toothache ?? I have had abcesses on my teeth and I swear I have never felt such pain :( The pain just runs through your whole head and is so unbearable !!!

Cherbos said...

As someone who experienced trauma at a young age at the dentist, I think having Katya sedated is definitely is the best option. Even now with a wonderful dentist I still require something to relax me. I wish I had enough to pay for her sedation, but I hope what little I was able donate helps somewhat. I will continue to pray that Princess Katya is able to heal from all the neglect she suffered, both emotionally and physically. I am so happy that she has such a loving family!