"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Friday, September 14, 2012

Update on Katya's Medical Situation

After a long talk wtih the one and only PA on duty for Dr Carson today, this Mommy has a plan. And I always do better with a plan, so thank you for praying . . .

The plan is to have Katya see her family Doc on Monday to rule out any possibly 'simple' explanations for her issues. Ear infection, sinus infection etc. Now, I don't really think that any of those things are what the issue is, but I agree that it's wise to cover all our bases JUST IN CASE before going to a CT scan and it's radiation, especially given how stinking many she has already had to have (way, way, way too many for one kid in less than a year's time). If all checks out OK on Monday and our family Doc can't tell what on earth is wrong, then I'm to contact the PA right away, and she will start the ball rolling for a CT scan. We aren't sure yet where it will need to be done--whether JHH or locally. She will try to get permission to do it locally from the Drs since neither Dr is at JHH right now to see Katya anyway were we to go there.

We also have a clear plan of what constitutes a "throw clothes into your bag and get to JHH *NOW*"--those include things such as any possible seizures, changes in eyes, or if Katya becomes suddenly extremely clumsy. When I told the PA we have noted some minor clumsiness that seems to come and go, I could tell she got a lot more sober and serious about the situation than she had been up to that point . . . .

Anyway, we had a good talk; I feel like I was heard and that we are on the right track now for getting Katya the help she needs medically.

Now, if we could just get the school situation dealt with as well too. Ah well . . . that's a topic for another time and day.

Thanks for praying . . .

1 comment:

Milena said...

I'm happy to hear that you feel you are on the right track for getting help for Katya, and that they listen to you. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for updating :-)