"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Thursday, September 20, 2012

And . . . We Have a WORD!

Last week when Katya was upset and yelling, she yelled the word, "HEY". It was cystal clear--"Hey!" --and done in an audible voice. But when we tried to encourage her to repeat the word she never would. We assumed that it was a "brain glitch" and just "happened".

However, it was encouraging as it was the very first word she had said audbly when awake. She has said a few things such as "us" and "up" in her sleep audibly, but nothing prior to this when awake.

Well, a few days ago I was trying to get her to say "Aaa" for "Apple" and I heard her rumbling and rattling her vocal cords in a gargling sort of way--something I had never heard before. She kept trying, and trying--and then said a nice audible "AAA"!!! I was sooo excited and felt that we had made some type of huge progress forward. Sure enough, since then she has been trying soooo hard to make sounds both at home and at school. We keep getting those gargling noises as she struggles to activate her vocal cords.

Today the school was excited because they said Katya said "Hey!" for them at school today after they encouraged her to do so! Maybe . . . just maybe . . . we have turned an important corner towards SPEECH for her?? Oh I do hope and pray FERVENTLY so . . . I pray so . . . I want to know what is in my little girl's heart and mind so badly that I sit and tear up as I'm thinking about it . . . I pray that she will more and more let us hear her voice . . .

1 comment:

Milena said...

That is amazing! Such exciting news! I can only imagine how strange it must feel for Katya, feeling her vocal cords making sounds, hearing her own voice....:-) How wonderful it would be if she'll be able to tell you what's on her heart!