"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Friday, February 3, 2012

No Koolaid for Me

I've been reading "A Thousand Lives--The Untold Story Of Hope, Deception, and Survival At Jonestown" by Julia Scheeres. Probably most, if not all, of my blog readers are familiar with the horrible tragedy perpetuated on the people of Jonestown by the "Reverend" Jim Jones. I was a young child when that outrage happened, and even though my parents tried to shield me from the ugliness, it somehow seeped out enough that I was aware of it in a basic manner.

As I got older and learned more details, I was always impressed that I should never become a blind follower of anyone here on earth. I have not always perfectly remembered that, but the basic truth has stuck enough with me that it has protected me from a lot of trouble.

Even though according to reports, the Jonestown people drank "Flavor Aid", *not* Koolaid, the phrase meaning to not swallow blindly the beliefs of a person or organization has come to be, "Don't drink the Koolaid". Basically it's another way of saying, "Don't check your brains at the door! Think--evaluate--be careful to fact-find Appearances could be deceiving!"

And in the world of adoption, "Don't drink the Koolaid" has a lot of revelance.

So, I say, "No koolaid. No matter how bright, no matter how pretty, no matter if it's all the colors of the rainbow--don't drink it!"

(For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones )

3 comments:

Hiskidstoo said...

I think it takes a very strong person to NOT drink the kool-aid, as we all know. It is easier to say, 'the end justifies the means.' I'm not real sure where that is Biblical at all, but I guess that is the justification in 'some' ppl's minds, or at least it helps them 'sleep' better at night, but then again, once the kool-aid is consumed, one falls into a deep slumber...it is only if one is able to awaken, and listen to truth, even if it means detouring to a different path with the same outcome (adoption), that people will come to realize they were deceived into believing lies and for some, it is dark and cloudy under the rainbow. Peace to all, but watch what you consume.

Hevel Cohen said...

Was Julia the one whose son John was kept in Jonestown and killed with the rest of the children after she ahd her husband left, due to custody issues?

Mike and Christie said...

I remember that tragedy well. I was a newly married, living in California. California, along the beach cities has MANY MANY cult recruiters. You could not get away from it as a kid just trying to swim in the water.
I had not had too many "cult" experiences since then, other than the guys who knock on doors with the WatchTower mag...(even had one show up in Ukriane...The ONLY smiling person in Victory Square... UGH
That is, until yesterday.... We had a meeting at a coffee house for some church business. This guy moved closer and closer until he interrupted and started handing out literature.... A NEW cult! New to me anyway.... They call themselves Church of Christ Iglesia Ni Christo", but they are NOT church of Christ. They do not believe Jesus was the son of God and they have some new messenger. Scary stuff. Oh my.
No koolaid over here either. :)
And I know many who have drank it, in the adoption world AND the spiritual world.