"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Hi, Ho, Ho--to Baltimore We Go

Katya is to meet with Dr. Carson the afternoon of Monday, the 21st. She will then need to be at Johns Hopkins Hospital at 5:30 a.m. on the 22 for pre-surgery prep. Surgery to place the ICP monitor is expected to start around 7:30 a.m.

Katya will then be in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) until the morning of the 25th, pending no complications.

Please be in prayer for our sweetie, and for our family. It has been very hard for everyone to be split apart in multiple directions when we were looking forward to celebrating our first Thanksgiving together as a family of 7.

In addition, I have been sick for the whole last week (I think too much stress and too little sleep) and am actually still in fact, sick, though much better than I was. I could use some prayers that I would have my health and energy back as we are going to be having a really long week with very little sleep ahead of us. There are no beds or even recliners in the PICU rooms--only a straight hospital chair--and since Katya is very, very dependent on Mommy for her security and interpreting her needs, it's going to be a long, long, week. I will need God's strength to get through it even if I'm well!

Please pray that Katya will be able to feel calm and peaceful in the midst of so much that is scary for her that she doesn't understand. Pray for Dr. Carson for wisdom and for technical perfection as he does Katya's surgery. Pray for clear guidance about the next steps for Katya's health care after this monitoring.

Please feel free to follow along on the Facebook Group, "Bringing Katya Home" (link on right hand side of blog) as I am more likely to post updates on FB than to be blogging, due to time constraints.

This last week has been a really challenging one for our family in so many, many ways. Someone shared the song, "God Says You're Gonna Make It" on their FB and I listened to it. I had never heard it before, but it totally spoke to my heart and blessed me. The words keep looping around in my head ever since.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d0a2VbVqBNg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The last few days we've seen God's promises coming true:
#1. God opened up the door so we can take along Chad who really needed to be with his parents, using close friends of Katya and Kristina's music teacher to be His hands and feet to our family  . . .
#2. I was praying about the financial impact that this trip is having on our family. Today God provided the EXACT (to the dollar!) money we need to pay for the lodging while we are there  ($20.00 a night which is VERY reasonable, but still adds up to a chunk that we needed to pray about since Paul has had so little work this fall) AND $100 from a completely different direction that was a big surprise to us,  which will help a lot with the gas! It blesses me to see God's provisions for Katya and our family!

Praise Him with me!! He is so good--all the time!!

4 comments:

Mike and Christie said...

His Timing is PERFECT! :) Praying for you Hope Anne.

Hevel said...

Praying for health, peace and a successful surgery and test.

FaerieMama said...

praying for both Katya AND you. May you feel His Peace during this whole experience.

Milena said...

I somehow feel there must be a higher reason why her surgery will take place at Thanksgiving... I am thankful that Katya is with you, being loved and receiving the care she needs. I will hope and pray for good health for all of you, as well as peace and clarity regarding decisions you need to make. I'm sorry that you've had a challenging week. I cannot know what you have gone through but I hope it will pass and be replaced by love and peace!