"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Thursday, August 11, 2011

For months, even before we adopted her, every time I prayed about Katya's medical needs, this was the face that came to me.

Dr. Benjamin Carson addresses the 2007 International Achievement Summit in Washington, D.C.

And this was the name that came to me: "Dr Ben Carson".

I am very grateful to God, and very, very happy to tell you that Katya has an appointment with Dr. Ben Carson on August 19th at Johns Hopkins. I don't know what our dear Doctor S. said to get Katya in to see Dr. Carson, because he only sees a VERY limited number of new patients per year, but Katya is in.

I have peace that we are walking the path God has called us to walk for Katya . . . I have faith that Dr. Carson, who believes in God and His almighty power, is the best Doctor for Katya at this point in her life. I don't know what all is ahead of us on this journey, but we are on the journey, and trusting that God who has preserved Katya's life thus far will be walking with Katya and with us each step.

If you want to know more, read "Gifted Hands" and watch the movie. I don't remember when I first read "Gifted Hands"--I think when I was around 20 or so?? So about 20 years ago . . . I always wondered if Dr. Carson had had access to my brother, Jeff, who died of a non-malignant tumor at the base of his brain, would Jeff's story been written the same? Who knows . . . I don't know . . .

But when I began praying about Katya's medical needs and Dr. Carson's face and name kept coming to me, and every where I turned it seemed that his name was popping up--even in the Sew Beautiful magazine (of all places!!), I knew I had to follow the promptings. When I researched and saw how few new patients Dr. Carson saw each year, I knew it would be a big thing and an "open door" sign for us if he agreed to see Katya! And he did.

Now granted . . . no one wants to be in that "elite few" category with their child . . . but you know what?? Since Katya does seem to be in the "elite few" with her head issues, I'm glad that a Dr. with years of experience is going to be the one looking at her! It's time to get some answers for Katya and get the process started to give her poor brain and head some relief!

Specific Prayer Requests:

* For baby sitting to work out for our children while we are gone

* For Peace and Comfort for Katya and all of us

Praise Reports:

* Katya was FINALLY added to our insurance!

* Katya has a SS number now!

2 comments:

Nanci said...

Praising our gracious God for answered prayer! We continue to ask the Lord's direction and protection for Katya and all of your family.

Nanci

Pam said...

Wow! That's great that Katya gets to see Dr. Carson. I've read Gifted hands -- he is a great Doctor!