"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Some News


Katya was helping Papa rinse the dishes on Sunday. She's wants to be QUITE independent about it which doesn't make it easy to help teach her how to really do it . . . but at least she wants to help. Gotta hand her that, even if at this point she wants it all to be on her terms.

This photo was taken last evening by Paul.  Truly, the evening with Katya is the best part of my day. She's happy to snuggle for about an hour while I rock her and it's my sanity saver. Parenting a child who has been allowed to live in her own little world for so long is NOT an easy task. I knew it would be hard--all of us knew it would be hard--but the sheer enormity of the task sometimes bowls us backwards as we try to get through each day. Only in God's strength are we being able to do it, and the prayers of everyone is very vital.

To further add to the stress of the situation, her whole insurance status is still hanging in limbo. (Yes, it is a long story . . . and I'm not getting into it all here.) And to further complicate matters, when we tried to apply for her Social Security number, we were told that the application is being rejected by the Department of H*meland S*curity. There is an error in Katya's paperwork some where . . . no one knows where yet as it's under investigation. Needless to say, we didn't need THAT stress hanging over our heads yet.

 Each day when I am awakened by the sound of a little girl thumping and banging around over my head I have to pray quickly before I climb out of bed and ask God to give me the strength and grace to get through each minute of the day. I feel overwhelmed and unable to keep up with all that needs done. One of my children asked me, "If you choose to do this, do you have ANY right to voice unhappiness?" I told them that I knew God was calling me to do it--that was the reason I did it--obedience to Him. And obedience to Him doesn't guarantee that we are going to be comfortable or happy or find life easy! In fact, I seem to recall that Jesus' choice of obedience to His father, God, sure brought a lot of stress, challenges and physical and emotinonal and mental pain to Him. Paul and I both know God called us to add Katya to our family, and we are trusting Him that He has not brought her this far to turn his face away from her and us . . . No, I am positive that He has not! I don't know what all His plans are for her and us but I'm choosing to make the choice to trust Him each day before I get out of bed that He's going to get us through another day, no matter how hard it is. I'm choosing to trust that He's going to bring healing into her emotions and into her body. I'm choosing to trust that He will provide for her medical needs and therapy needs even though I don't see how yet. I'm choosing to trust that He has a perfect plan for her life even though things are hanging in the balance right now with the snafu (unknown as yet to us what it is!) in her documents.
So, even though Katya is home . . . I'm going to ask you to keep praying for her and praying for us . . . there are many needs. God knows what they all are and as His people pray, He can apply them to the needs. Thank you again for standing with Katya and us through this amazing and crazy journey!

6 comments:

Mel said...

Praying HopeAnn! I know how you feel when you say that you have to rely on God to get you through each day... He will carry us through and eventually we will see His plan for our "new" children. Now if He would just slow Timothy down a notch so I could keep up with him... :)

Danielle said...

We've been praying! I think of you often.

jabreman said...

I am not sure that God wants us to soldier on without a whimper or cry or complaint. He made us human after all. What we need to do is be honest in the moment and then seek Him the moment after...asking for lots of help from Him and from those around us.

Hang in there. Katya was without you for a long, long time. It may take a long time to help heal her wounds.

May God bless you and keep you all...

Jane
a reader in Los Angeles.

Laurie said...

Joining in prayer as your journey!

Shannon said...

Prayers for you...and thank you for the reality of your voice. We often hear all the *good* things, it's nice to hear someone humble enough to share the struggles. Many prayers for your strength as you continue this journey.

Carolyn said...

Praying for you all in this journey that you're on! God bless you and yours for the love you've shown Katya!

In Christ,
Carolyn