"We are going to focus on LIFE for Katya. I believe, one day, she will amaze the world."

Dr. Ben Carson on Katya Dueck

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Dreaming of Katya

This past Saturday morning I had a very vivid dream about Katya. I dreamed that Paul and I had gone officially to meet her. For some reason, the orphanage had the policy of putting the adoptive parents in the gruppa (group) with the children (yeah, right--in my dreams!). I know from being at Katya's orphanage with the medical missions team that the tiny toddler beds in Katya's gruppa would never accomodate an adult, but hey, it was a dream, and in the dream, the beds were twin sized. So Paul was given his own bed off in the corner of the room, and I was told to share Katya's bed with her. She went to sleep curled up in my arms, and we woke that way together when the orphanage director and the staff came in to talk with us briefly . . . After the staff talked with us, they went on their way and we were supposed to get dressed and then play with Katya. As we were playing with Katya, she began to run around the room and gathered up all the little purses she could find and brought them to me. I began to say, "Purse, Kayta" and would slowly enunciate the word over while encouraging her to watch my mouth. (Much as I have done for the last few years as we have helped our youngest bio learn to talk since it was not something that came easily for him.) After a few times of me modeling for her, Katya began to attempt to make the sounds of the word "purse". It was obvious that it took tremendous effort and concentration for her, but finally something that was close to it came jerkily and brokenly out. I began to praise her and a huge look of fear and distress came over her face and she curled into a fetal ball on the floor. I was already kneeling on the floor beside her, and so I began to use the sensory calming techniques with her that I know . . . and as I did that and talked lovingly and soothingly to her, she slowly began to uncurl and relax, and the fear left her face little by little. I was SOOO excited at the progress I'd seen with her that I woke myself up. . . . and could still feel her weight from the dream in my arms all the rest of the day . . . .

It was a really vivid dream and realistic in some ways (ignore us sleeping with the gruppa--that was so NOT!) and I have not forgotten it . . .

God willing, someday soon I will hold her again in my arms . . . .  Please keep praying for the adoption process, for the funds, for the doors to remain wide open for adoption in Katya's country. . . .  God knows how my heart years for Katya to join our family and to grow and blossom . . .

2 comments:

Ann said...

I absolutely love dreams! God has spoken to me through dreams for years now. That is what led us to our precious daughter we now are adopting. My first thought with your dream is that you holding your child represent the way the Lord holds you. He's gentle, calming and full of reassurance. I saw Him laying beside you. When you are in fear unfold from your fetal position and look up to who's there before you, IT's Him the one that loves us and guides us.

From one mommy to another. Congrats on bringing home your princess Katya, it won't be long.
Many blessings
Ann
www.twolivesonejourney.blogspot.com

Milena said...

Such a touching dream! I so hope you will soon again get to hold Katya in your arms!